Friday 8 April 2016

INTERVIEW with filmmaker Nic Collins

 
What does your film express about today’s generation?

The big thing is how lonely and confused we are. We're always looking for that god-like being who will come and save us from ourselves. We revere cruel and narcissistic behavior and view earnestness and sincerity as naive. We are trying so hard not to live within our reality and escape into the screen around us.

What social circumstances lead you to make your new film?

Women in film are always represented as damsels and victims so we also wanted confront that idea and flip it on its head. So many honest people getting taken advantage of by a con man who pretends to be holy or represent some higher authority so we wanted to address that too with Mouth of Dog. Tinder being this cold miserably cold new way of meeting people to fuck really terrifies me too so we created an app called Bendr for the show. The big thing is taking Snake who represents a new born baby but also an alien baby who is thrown into the void and forced to make sense of it all. It was like "how would we have to explain all this shit to an alien?" When you try to explain or justify our societal norms you realize how dangerous and sad a lot of it. 

What do you think about the PINK8 Manifesto & Punk Cinema?

It's the only way!! Without the DIY culture of Chicago's underground art scene YOTS would have been very difficult to make. One thing that always infuriates me is someone saying that they can't make art because it costs too much. WELL THEN FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE IT WITH NOTHING. Im just so used to having no budget and having to pool resources and fund my own stuff I don't know how else to do it. I want filmmaking to feel like I'm playing with my friends and DIY/Punk cinema allows me to do so!

Whats next for you?

I'm making a movie about Martin Shkreli right now that's very close to being done. Also developing a paranormal sci film about an exorcist. I have some exciting music video projects coming up so that'll be fun to pour some weird ideas into! My next thing is probably going to be something more grounded and deals with the human condition and how loneliness leads us to regretful, sometimes painful decisions. Love movies, I guess but you know the messy sloppy bits of love.